re saw bandsaw cracks

Issues related to bandsaws: Benching, tipping, sharpening, feeds and speed, alignment, guides.....

Moderator: thinkerf

re saw bandsaw cracks

Postby ronbow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:08 pm

i have an Albany twin re-saw air/hydraulic high strain 5ft mills. Left hand saw never cracks rt hand saws crack after 4 or 5 runs from new some continue to crack some stop. All gullet cracks and no consistent area of gullet same benchman same wheel condition as left hand mill. Bearings are in better condition than the mill that does not crack accumulator pressure same on both mills as is guide pressure ,strain etc. crossline checked & re-checked . Can anyone help with this im at my wits end

Re: re saw bandsaw cracks

Postby sawfin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:33 pm

the mill I'm at had gullet cracks we bought a Iseli auto bench we bench all our saws when they come off the mill no matter how long they have run, use the same program to reset the tension and back we run a 25mm tier and most of our gullet cracks have disappeared now we have a center crack which shows up on #3 mill we have reduced the tension, ground the wheels checked the strain and accumulator pressures, guide pressure is the same on all 4 mills so we are still hunting for a solution

Re: re saw bandsaw cracks

Postby wbsaws » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Are you using two different grinders for the lh & rh blades or the same grinder for both? If your benching and mill set up are the same for both blades then that may suggest the problem is in the grinding.

Return to Bandsaws