bandsaw stelite tip tooth configuation

Issues related to bandsaws: Benching, tipping, sharpening, feeds and speed, alignment, guides.....

Moderator: thinkerf

bandsaw stelite tip tooth configuation

Postby david » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:39 am

Our head filer has changed the amount of relief angle on our stelite tipped bandsaws. We used to have about 12 thousanths on both radial and tangental angles. This was about a 2 degree angle. We measure the tooth size in thousanths then measure the relief with a side dial then use a conversion chart that shows the degree of angle. We started off with about 4 or 5 thousanths relief which was only about a 1 to 1 1/2 degree angle. We were at 2 or more degrees when we had 12 thousanths relief. He has since adjusted it with more relief but we are still no more than 8 or 9 thousanths relief.

Are there any studies or suggestions about the best degree of angle relief on stelite tipped bandsaws? We have been having more trouble with our bandsaw performance with the saws that were tipped with less degree relief.
david

Re: bandsaw stelite tip tooth configuation

Postby wbsaws » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:13 pm

David, I think the main reason for less degrees of tangential & radial angles is to get more resharpenings out of a saw before you have to retip and also get a slightly better finish on the board. Personally, I think this is a mistake because we should be more concerned with sawing performance. A swage tooth saw usually runs 8 & 3 degrees as standard. Having not enough angle will cause more rubbing on the sides of the teeth therefore increasing friction and thermal expansion and you will have to run more tension and back to compensate. I would even experiment with 3 degrees tangential and leave the radial at 2 degrees. A properly sharpened saw will cut more freely & create a lot less benching.
wbsaws

Re: bandsaw stelite tip tooth configuation

Postby sawmillwill » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:57 pm

I agree with the comment of a two degree tangential angle being sufficient. However, concerning the radial angle: if to aggressive (greater than three degrees) the cutting edge becomes too vulnerable and premature deterioration (dullness) will be eminent. Adequate side clearence between tooth and plate will minimize friction caused by fiber expansion. When you think about it there really is no divinitive answer to the original question. Through trials, tribulations and poor judgements is what might seem to suggest what works best, because every bandmill has its own unique heartbeat. What works with one application may not work as well with another. ;)
sawmillwill

Return to Bandsaws