Ukia Guided Gang

Issues related to circular saws: benching, tipping, grinding, feeds and speeds, alignment, ....

Moderator: thinkerf

Ukia Guided Gang

Postby Buzz49 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:35 am

Hello ,
I have a Ukia Gang With only one of two 300hp Motors hooked up. We cut Cedar most of the time,and Spruce occasionally.
At present we are cutting Ingleman Spruce. We did not have the Proper guide size for the customers order . The
Company had the M/W's Cut out 1/16" shims with a torch and hammer them "leval" to put between the precision ground guides
to aquire the proper wood target size. The Spruce Cants are 6 and 8 " and 14" wide. The saws are not performing like they were before the shims were added. Seven saws in total. There is often one or two on a regular basis snaking or cutting tapers.
The guide clearances are all over the place because of the shims inaccuracy. I cannot convince the management that the shims
do not belong in between a precision ground guide , the lube is coming out between the guide horns as much as thru the guide.
I would just like to confirm that the shims are the cause of my many saw changes per day.
The Company is blaming everything BUT the shims, including the filers don't know how to put up a saw properly all of a sudden.
Any sugestions or comments would be welcome.
Thanks for listening ,
Buzz49
Buzz49

Re: Ukia Guided Gang

Postby thinkerf » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:29 pm

I think you've described the problem well. I've seen shims used before, but they were made from precision shim stock, and even then there were still problems with the guides in terms of guide clearances and sealing the water holes.

My quick check for guide clearance is to push a feeler gauge between the saw and the guide surfaces. 0.005" inch of less is desired. 0.010" is a disaster: no support or positioning for the saws, which mean they snake. Since the lubrication goes to the conveyor, there is no cooling for the snaking saws.
thinkerf
Site Admin

Re: Ukia Guided Gang

Postby Buzz49 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks for the replys, it confirms my thoughts .
Buzz49
Buzz49

Return to Circular Sawing