v top trimsaws

A discussion group for anyone interested in the skills and knowledge related to sawing

Moderator: thinkerf

v top trimsaws

Postby davidcleminson » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:48 am

I've been told that in Canada and the US, the sawmills are using a "V" top tip on the trimline saws. They are said to improve finish and stay sharp for longer. We are trying to improve our finish on the board ends, as the line speed has been increased recently. Does anyone have any details of angles and dimensions etc. We have done some experimental saws of our own, but they weren't a great success. Our timber over here in Scotland is very fast growing and very fibrous. We normally have 0.75mm side clearance on our trimsaws and we used this side clearance as a start, but we seemed to be suffering burning on the saw bodies and the board ends. If we use less side clearance the saws nip in the cut and stop the line, more side clearance seems obvious, but we have not tried yet, as we need to keep the kerf to a minimum. If anyone can shed any light on how we can make some adjustments to get this working, I would be very grateful. Windymains Sawmill.
davidcleminson

Re: v top trimsaws

Postby jowens » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:02 am

I AM CURRENTLY RUNNING V-TOP SAWS. I WOULD LOOK AT YOUR HOOK ANGLE, AND THE AMOUNT OF TEETH IN THE SAW. ALSO ALIGNMENT HAS BEEN VERY CRITICAL ON THE TRIMMER ITSELF. THE V-TOP SAW IS VERY AGRESSIVE AND PULLS IF NOT IN PROPER ALIGNMENT.
jowens

Return to Filer's Forum